Thursday 8 October 2009

I'm not nineteen forever...

Today is the day. The day that I am no longer just a statistic of the Daily Mail. The day I become an adult (well, in my opinion). The day that I am no longer a teenager. The day I turn the grand old age of 20.
Is there anything special about this age? I never really thought so. There was being 18, then 21, then 30, 40, 50 etc. It seemed like it was just another year, nothing spectacular or different about it at all. But not that I've reached this age it feels different. Maybe because the 'teen' tag has been removed. Should this mean I should be more grown up? Be more of an adult? Do adult things like read the paper and take an interest in politics and cricket? I hope not.
I do feel some sort of maturity creeping up on me. I no longer feel like the carefree teenager I was all but yesterday. But maybe that's normal? I know that Dave was freaking out about being twenty last year, and on this day he turns 21 (strange coincidence there, girlfriend's housemate having the same birthday as me...). This time last year I thought he was over reacting, but now I'm in the same position I can understand. Something about it seems odd. I feel like I am growing up. Mind you, I've felt like I'm growing up since starting university.
Oh well. Never mind. Happy birthday to me. I wonder when I start getting too old to care about birthdays....

1 comment:

Paul Waring said...

Right, so that makes you "...a 20 year old music lover..."

Do I have to remind you *every* year?

;)