Monday 3 March 2008

Better to burn out than to fade away

Just to rid you of any suspicion, no, this is not about Neil Young, or indeed about the suicide note of Kurt Cobain, but more about the way that a lot of songs end. Perhaps one of the most annoying things about music, apart from some of the mindless rubbish in the form of X Factor, Razorlight, various 'R & B' artists, etc, is the way that a large amount of songs fade out at the end. My question is why?! Why must a song, that in some cases has been particularly fantastic all the way through, end on such an anti-climax?? It almost makes me think that they just could not be bothered to think of a way for the song to end, so thought 'I know, we'll play the main riff over and over rather than properly finish it!', which to me is rather a shame, not least because 2 of my favourite songs of all time, (New Order's 'Blue Monday' and 'Slide Away' by Oasis) both fade out at the end. Yeah fair enough they might say that, as said in the humourous 'Montage' song in Team America, 'if you fade out it seems like more time has passed', but thats not what I look for in a song, I would much rather have it end on a held note after the main chord progression has been played a couple of times than have it fade out with said progression continuously playing, that way it would at least be like the song has actually finished. I think the line, which I have used as the title of this particular thought process, sums it up best, so in the words of Neil Young, yes kids, Neil Young, listen to 'Hey Hey, My My'...or 'My My, Hey Hey' (there is a difference!) and you will see, I feel that, when it comes to a decent song, of any genre, be it pop, dance, rock, punk, anything, it really is better to burn out than to fade away.

1 comment:

Paul Waring said...

Nice one son - welcome to the blogosphere. Just to add to your (shared) hatred of the fade-out, there are a load of songs (mainly I have to say jazz-fusion type stuff) that fade IN as well as fading out. It's like turning the radio on halfway through a tune - you think 'what have I missed'?!