Thursday 1 April 2010

A week of Radioactivity: Day Two

Why do hospitals insist on waking you up so fucking early? After a fairly decent nights sleep, once I eventually got comfortable that is, I got woken up by the sound of ‘DO YOU WANNA CUPPA TEA MY LUVVER?’ at around quarter past 7. My lack of response was taken as a no, so I grabbed a little bit more sleep until about 20 minutes later, the place seemed to spring to life, as I got asked what I want for breakfast (Rice Krispies, since you ask) and got offered another cup of tea, this time I took it. What did I do then? Well, I stuck on some more Heroes. Getting through the third disc of series one. Feels like I’m flying through this (if you’ll excuse the pun) so I did wonder if I would end up getting through the whole 7 disc 1st series in a day and a half, not stopping to think that the whole series is around 42 hours long, making it a mathematical impossibility. Nevertheless, I gave it a shot.

Anyway, after said disc was finished, I thought I better have a shower, seeing as it had been instructed that I have one every day. It was a pleasant shower too. Not too aggressive or powerful, but not as if someone was gently tipping a faulty watering can over my head, รก la my house in Huddersfield. Naturally, I took my time, seeing as days have a tendency to drag when you aren’t doing anything other than sit around on your arse all day.
When I got out, dried and dressed, the radiologist woman, Sue, was at the door, wanting to scan me to see just how radioactive I am today, having had over 12 hours for it to flush through my system. Giving me a tape measure to make sure I was stood a metre away from her, she scanned me with this thing, and said that the level had gone from 3400-ish to 1000, which is obviously pretty good. Probably not good enough to allow me to go home tomorrow, but then, I’m not expecting that anyway.

So, with the shower and the scan being the two main things to do today (I know, exciting stuff right?) I had to find something else to do. Rather than just watch some more Heroes, I thought I’d have a bit more of a read through Kevin Smith’s book, as I was intrigued to see how the story of Jason Mewes’ addiction problems panned out, it had made very interesting, if at times difficult, reading previously, but it obviously ended up with a happy ending, given that Jay is still alive and well, when it looked like it was going to go so differently.
THEN, I decided I’d watch some more Heroes, just as my cheese sarny arrived along with my ‘snack box’ for the day. Yum yum. This became interspersed with phone calls from Emma (albeit by accident…), Steve and my Nan, who was with my two cousins, meaning I got passed around the room to have short conversations with each of them about school and stuff. Although it was strange when my eleven-year-old cousin asked “Is the work harder at university? Or easy because you know more about it?” It kind of caught me off guard, because it’s a difficult question. It is obviously hard work, but then, the enjoyment behind some aspects of it, and the background knowledge behind others, does make certain elements sort of easy. He probably thinks it’s all a piece of piss now though. Ah well, he’s got plenty of years left to learn otherwise.

One other thing that was of particular highlight today was that I found an Internet connection! Huzah! After the disappointment of being told that there wouldn’t be any Wi-Fi in this place, I scanned the area and found an unprotected connection, and it worked! I do feel bad though, that all I did was sit on Facebook until the connection went. But by that point, it was teatime anyway, so it was a good way to pass the time, which is all I have to do really. I had a lovely pasta and chicken meal, with a chocolate pudding for afters, and began to settle in to some more Heroes, before my dear old mumsie showed up with some squash for me, seeing as I have to consume copious amounts of liquid to help ‘flush the radiation through me’.
After her brief visit, which was spent talking from either side of this lead panel, I sat back to watch some more Heroes, until we reach this point. Where, at quarter to ten, I’m rather tired after what has proven to be a surprisingly eventful day. Nonetheless, I think I may go to bed and try to sleep. Something which took a while last night, hopefully it wont again tonight.
Although the fact that I’ve just sneezed about 7 or 8 times in a minute probably won’t help.

Bloody hospitals.

No comments: